Thursday 4 July 2013

Newbie Tips: Getting back on the wagon


*Warning… clichés ahead!

That old cliché ‘’If it was easy then everyone would be doing it!’’ is so true when it comes to living a healthy lifestyle. It takes perseverance and the ability to pick yourself up and get back on the horse when you slip back into old habits. Falling off the wagon and finding my way back on seems to be something I have perfected throughout this journey. I have had more slip ups than I can count and at one stage it was happening weekly! I fell into the pattern of … okay well starting Monday I will get back into it!

At first I really beat myself up over this. I looked at those beautiful girls (seriously they are all stunning right?!) on the blogs I read and thought to myself I will never be like them. I told myself I had no will power, that I was lazy and that I would be sick and tired forever. But then I looked at the reality of the situation. Did these girls start out as seemingly perfect as they are… I know they didn’t! They have openly shared their stories and slip ups. It is just human nature of trying something new. Everyone is on their own journey and comparing yourself to others is never going to end well!

I think it was Melissa Ambrosini who described it as building a muscle. You can’t just expect yourself to wake up one day and do it… it takes time, practice and perseverance. And I guess also a little self forgiveness.

 Here are some of the ways I like to re-motivate myself.

1.     Remind yourself why you are doing this.

Hint: If your motivation comes from a place of fear (so I don’t get sick/fat) you are not approaching this with a loving intention. Take out a pen and paper and write down all the positive things a healthy lifestyle brings. Bucket loads of energy, amazing skin and hair, a positive mindset, confidence in your skin… the list goes on!

2.     Healthspiration

Read your favourite health blogs, buy a health magazine, add some inspiring people to your Facebook and Instagram account, organise a catch up with some friends on the same path. Do what you can to surround yourself with people who will help you stay excited about your healthy lifestyle. It is also a great way to keep changing things up by implementing other people’s ideas and recipes into your journey.

3.     Retail Therapy

Go health food shopping! I find if it’s there… I will eat it! Plan some yummy nutritious meals for the week and stock up on all your fresh fruit and veg. Also buying inspiring books or cook books helps to boost my motivation.

4.     Raking

Raking (raw baking) is something that always gets me excited about healthy eating again. I love making up yummy treats with my superfoods and there are a tonne of recipes around. Try Tara Bliss’s Raw Snickers Tart YUM!

5.     Forgive yourself and try again

Be okay with the mistakes you have made and just do your best. Reflect on what when wrong (without judgment) and recognise the lesson. How would you talk to a friend who might have slipped up in their health journey? You idiot, you will never be able to do it, why bother trying? …I don’t think so! Try: You are doing the best you can, keep trying, you are getting better!
How do you handle a slip up? What do you do to get back on track?

2 comments:

  1. Ohhh thank you. I'm looking up at the horse right now.. but I've still got my hands on the reins!

    I just wanted to say, I found your blog through a comment on The Wellness Warrior - I liked your name and clicked! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Nina! It's always interesting to hear how people stumble across my page! Hold on tightly! It's a bumpy ride but worth every second :) good luck with it and come back and visit soon!

      Delete