Sunday 21 July 2013

Smart Substitutes: Chocolate Chip Ice Cream

Last week I was set the challenge to find an alternative to ice cream. There are many raw, vegan recipes out there but most are basically frozen fruit chucked in a blender. I don't know about you but when I crave ice cream I don't want frozen fruit! I always end up buying chocolate... So that's what I set out to recreate.

I am so pleased with the end product... I will definitely be making this again soon. The only difference between this and normal ice cream is a slightly icier consistency... not in a bad way but it's definitely a point of difference. It is delicious!

I based my ice cream on a recipe from detoxinista with a few little adaptations. 

Chocolate Chip Ice Cream


2 x 270mL coconut milk *
1/4 cup cacao powder
1/4 cup organic honey
1 tsp vanilla essence 
Your desired amount of cacao nibs to mix through

*To get your creamiest coconut milk look at the ingredients list and find the highest percentage of coconut. I used Woolworths Select brand which surprisingly had the highest percentage of coconut at 99.5%. Go Woolies! Do not get the low fat version... You want thick, creamy ice cream!

1. Place all ingredients except the cacao nibs into the blender.
2. Blend for 2mins or until the mixture begins to thicken a little.
3. Pour into a freezer safe container (I used a loaf baking tin).
4. Sprinkle the cacao nibs on top on the mixture.
5. Freeze until set (approx 5hrs).

No comments:

Post a Comment