Sunday 14 July 2013

Smart Substitutes: Healthy Chippies

This is the first of a new blog segment in which I will show you healthy alternatives to some popular food cravings. These recipes are guilt free ways to indulge in your food favourites that are tasty and nutritious!

I definitely am more of a savoury food person and in the past my go to comfort foods were pasta, bread and hot chips. I used to work at KFC during my high school years where I think my hot chip obsession really began! The following recipe is definitely a favourite in our house and reminds us of the delicious chips from Grill'd. The pumpkin and sweet potato gives our Healthy Chippies a nutritional boost in comparison to regular potato chips and as we all know baking is much healthier than frying!

Healthy Chippies
2 large potatoes
1/4 pumpkin
1/2 large sweet potato
Coconut oil/ virgin olive oil for drizzling
Mixed herbs
Himalayan salt

1. Preheat oven to 200 degrees and line an oven tray.
2. Cut vegetables into your desired chip shape.
3. Place chips into a large freezer bag and cover with oil. Shake bag to ensure all chips are covered with oil.
4. Add your desired amount of herbs to the bag and shake to ensure chips are covered evenly with herbs.
5. Transfer the chips onto the oven tray and bake for 45-60min(this will depend on the size of your chips and how crunchy you like them!).
6. Sprinkle with Himalayan salt and enjoy!


What are some Smart Substitutes you would like to see on the blog in future? Post your suggestions below :)

5 comments:

  1. Yum! Chips are one of my favs. If you haven't done it already, I suggest an alternative receipe for ice-cream :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ooooh! Challenge accepted! Honestly I'm still stuck on the real stuff... Im a big ice cream fan so I will definitely look into it!

      Delete
    2. Challenge accomplished... and its delicious!
      Check it out and let me know what you think! :)
      http://nourishmentnewbie.blogspot.com.au/2013/07/smart-substitutes-chocolate-chip-ice.html

      Delete
  2. Yum.....could go some of these right now....I can tell I am gonna love this new segment ;P xo.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Definitely give them a try! YUM!

    ReplyDelete